Sunday, July 12, 2009

Seriously...I'm working!

So...I'm beginning to get frustrated at the fact that I've set so many projects and pieces before me that I've been lacking in actually finishing anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my advances, and adore the pieces I've been working on, but silly little me wants to FINISH something. I've been trying so hard to catch up with what I missed with my mother's wedding in Texas.

I've been working non-stop, essentially. At least 8 hours each day...save today, which I'm using as a day of rest for my hand. I've been told to make Sunday my day of rest no matter what...because even though I love drawing, my body needs a rest.

For those who don't know, I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand when I was 18. To have it so early was unusual, but because I was drawing and looking at art as my profession at that point, me, my parents, and my doctor, though it a possibility to reduce further damage.
Previous to my drawing, I typed a lot, hand wrote stories a lot, and played Oboe for 5 years, so stress to my carpal tunnel didn't seem too out-there.
I was drawing within a week of getting my stitches taken out, and while the constant ache went away, I felt over time that the surgery didn't do anything but give me extensive scar tissue.
I decided to get over it and just deal with it.
There's a really long story that follows this that comes back to last year when I was dealing with some numb spots and burning in my leg. After a long summer, I was diagnosed with an unknown Neuromuscular Disorder/Disease. Could be Multiple Sclerosis, could be Muscular Distrophy, could be something new...we don't know and I don't have the money to get further tests needed. In any case, I deal with a lot of muscle pain and fatigue daily, and this can put a damper on my work, though I try to not let it get to me.
Recently I've had to resort to taping my pinky to my ring finger when I draw due to the Myotonia in my hand. This keeps my hand from cramping up as quickly, and I'm glad to have thought of it. I think once I get a Cinteq stylus, I might be able to reduce my pain and inflammation due to the grip on the pen, and might not get numb fingers anymore. Hoping for this very soon.

I'm also hoping to get a web camera soon(I've got a good and affordable one picked out already), so that I can get on Ustream and join the art movement of having a drawing channel.

Anyway, without further ado...I give you part of what has been my task for about two weeks now.
Photobucket

She's undergone a few skin re-colors and such...and this is probably far from what the final will be, but I'm loving it and learning SO much during this. Doing a lot of experimentation with colors and color theory, lighting...a TON of research and looking at references. This picture here, I think, has marked a moment in my life where I'm really working hard as an artist. And loving every minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say.. I love this WIP. The color and lighting is just simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete